Cacao + Peanut Butter Protein Energy Balls
Energy + Protein
Need a pre or post workout snack? These bites have got you covered.
I eat these energy bites pretty much every day. They're perfect for before or after a workout, or as a quick, healthy dessert. The only hard part is stopping after about two or three. Maybe you'll have better luck than me...
They're full of fiber, protein, fats, and with the cacao -- antioxidants! Best part is that they're extremely portable! You can premake them on the weekend and grab-n-go throughout the week.
- 1 1/2 C oat flour (oats ground in blender, like my Nutribullet)
- 1/3 C maple syrup
- 3/4 C melted PB
- 3T cacao powder (I use Healthworks)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- optional add-ins: dried fruit, coconut, seeds, chopped pecans, chia seeds
- If adding protein powder: use chocolate protein powder (1/4 C) and add 1/4 C more of melted PB, maple syrup, or date paste (dates blended with a tiny bit of water, into smooth paste)
- Grind oats in Nutrbullet or blender into fine flour.
- Mix maple syrup and peanut butter in pot on stove until melted.
- Add vanilla and salt to peanut butter mixture.
- Pour oat flour into a bowl and add cacao + salt.
- Pour wet mixture into dry and stir until combined, then massage with hands.
- With hands, form into balls and place on lined baking tray. Referigerate.
- Use a quality blender (or coffee grinder), not a food processor for the oat flour, I can never get a fine consistency with a processor.
- Use unsweetened PB, make sure it is not too thick or dry (slightly runny is the best consistency).
- If adding dates with the protein powder, allow to soak in hot water until soft before hand, then draining + processing.
- Keep refrigerated after rolling into balls!