Simple, Plantbased Breakfasts + Strawberry Bowl Recipe
Summer means strawberries! The perfect toppers for oatmeal + smoothies!
I don't know if breakfast really is the most important meal of the day, but it definitely sets you up for the rest of it! If you start out hungry, you're going to be off until lunchtime.
Luckily for us, it's summer! And that means an abundance of cheap fruit to throw into everything and sweeten up our hot, humid days! Berries are full of fiber & antioxidants, and will help fuel you through until lunch.
If you're looking for breakfast ideas, look no further...
If you have time to cook:
- w/ almond/peanut butter & fresh fruit toppings
Green breakfast bowl
- 1/2 C cooked quinoa or oats
- 1 C spinach or shredded kale
- 1/4 C cooked lentils or beans
- Optional add-in's: 1 egg, cooked, if you eat them
- 1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1/2 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- dash of hot sauce, cayenne, or sriracha
Cook oats/quinoa on stove, and in the last few minutes, add your greens and stir until wilted, then add rest of ingredients on low heat. Take off heat when warmed through, then drizzle with lemon + tahini, and season with salt and pepper.
Stovetop or Microwave Oatmeal
- 2/3 C oats to 1 1/3 C almond milk | or 1/2 C oats to 1 C milk (depending on how hungry you are!)
- 1 TB chia seeds
- 1 TB ground flaxseed
- dash of maple syrup
- saigon cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 TB almond or peanut butter
- 1/2 C berries (blueberries or sliced strawberries)
- optional: 1 TB collagen protein
Combine oats and milk in microwave or on stove until liquid is absorbed. Add in chia and flaxseeds, maple syrup, 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon (I like it very cinnamon-y), berries, and drizzle with nut butter!
If you're on the run:
Smoothie to go (for all, add liquid about 1/2 - 1 C and adjust as you blend)
- Acai: 2 bananas, 1/2 tsp acai powder, 1/2 C berries, 1 TB chia or hemp seeds
- Cacao banana: 2 bananas, 2 TB cacao powder, 1 TB chia or hemp seeds, dash of salt/vanilla
- PB banana: 2 bananas, 2 TB powdered peanut butter or 1 TB normal peanut butter, dash of salt/vanilla; optional 1/2 C berries (recommended strawberries) and 1 C greens (spinach, kale)
Overnight oats (make night before)
- Ratio is 2:1 liquid: oats - ie., 1/2 C oats to 1C liquid
- PB&J: 1 TB peanut butter, 1/4 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp maple syrup, dash salt, 1/2 C strawberries + 1 TB chia seeds (add in morning)
- Chocolate peanut butter: 2 TB cacao, 1 TB peanut butter, dash of salt/vanilla; add chopped pecans/almonds in morning
Protein bar + large apple + fresh berries
- If you truly know you won't have time to sit and eat anything, grab 2-3 of these energy/protein balls, a LARGE apple, and a cup of fresh berries as you go! If you have premade green juice, you can sub that for the berries!
Strawberry Vanilla Oat Bowl
- 2/3 C old fashioned oats
- 1 2/3 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 3 TB chopped, toasted pecans or 1 TB nut butter of choice
- 1 TB chia seeds + 3 TB water or almond milk, set on counter for 10 min
- Mix oats and almond milk in pan on stove, bring to boil them simmer until liquid is absorbed
- Add vanilla, a dash of salt if desired, and maple syrup
- Stir to combine
- Ladle into bowl, and add chopped nuts or drizzle of nut butter, and add into soaked chia seeds. Can garnish with unsweetened shredded coconut.
These can easily be made into overnight oats. Just mix & store in a jar in the refrigerator overnight!