Vanilla Oat Banana Bread
This natural banana bread is low in added sugar, and thus can double as a snack or a dessert if it's spiced up with a little jam + nut butter!
This banana bread is an all-time favorite of mine. As a peanut butter addict, this gives me an outlet to work with. I absolutely love slathering this with melted peanut butter and chia seed jam, for a perfect but not-too-sweet snack or dessert. You can also drizzle it with my homemade chocolate sauce for a sweeter dessert taste.
This bread is made from a base of oats or almonds, and thus is full of fiber and protein that white flour lacks. Because the added sugar is low (I usually omit entirely), it won't give as major of a blood sugar spike as regular banana bread that's usually loaded with white sugar. Note: I do not advise the use of complete substitution of coconut sugar for regular sugar. Coconut sugar is still sugar! It's a better alternative, but not 100% healthy. If you can go without it, I'd omit it, add a few TB's of maple syrup maybe, and just make sure your bananas are plenty ripe & sweet.
- 2.5 cups of oat or almond flour (or flour of choice such as spelt)
- 5 medium bananas (ripe & spotty)
- 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil*
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- dash of almond milk
- 1/3 C TB flax or chia seeds
- 1/3-1/2 C coconut sugar (to desired sweetness)**
- 2 tsp cinnamon (saigon recommended)
- 2 teaspoon of baking soda
- dash salt
- 1 C frozen or fresh blueberries (optional, but recommended)
*I often sub for applesauce to make this a bit lighter. Sometimes, I omit entirely and add more oat flour and flaxseed.
**Another thing I often completely omit. If you are new to eating healthy, I'd add it in to wean away your sugar tolerance, but if you think you can handle maybe just adding a few TB's of maple syrup, I'd do that instead. Having the bananas plenty ripe is vital for the sweetness of this recipe if you don't add sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use blender to grind oats into fine flour. Pour into bowl.
- In the same blender, add bananas (tear off into pieces), vanilla, dash of almond milk, and coconut oil.
- To oat flour, add flax/chia seeds, cinnamon, sugar if using, salt, and baking soda.
- Pour banana mixture into flour and stir lightly to combine. Do not overstir, but make sure to get the bottom mixed enough.
- Gently stir in frozen blueberries.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 50 min-1 hr. You will need to bake longer if your batter is runnier. To test if ready: pierce bread with knife or fork, and see if it comes out clean.