Berry Chia Seed Jam
The Tiny Chia
I've told you why you should include chia in your diet. Now I'm telling you how.
One of my favorite snacks is a slice of homemade banana bread with peanut butter and this chia seed jam. You can use whatever berries you like, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries! I usually use raspberries because they require no chopping or prep. You simply get a bag of frozen raspberries or a couple of cups of fresh berries, and toss them in the pan.
Most store-bought jams are choc-full of refined sugar and preservatives, but since this one is so easy, there's no reason not to do a simple swap! Great on banana bread, oatmeal, toast, or chia pudding.
- 2 cups of fresh berries or 1 15oz package of frozen berries
- 3 TB chia seeds
- 1/4 C water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TB maple syrup
- Optional: 1 TB lemon juice
- Finely chop berries (if they're frozen raspberries, no need).
- Place berries and water in sauce pan on stove on medium heat.
- Simmer until berries are soft, about 10 min. Take off heat.
- Mash berries with spatula or fork.
- Allow berries to cool.
- Add in chia seeds, vanilla, maple syrup, and lemon juice if using.
- Pour into mason jar and keep refrigerated. It will thicken overnight.