Quick Tips To Reduce Waste
If we're being honest, I think we all can make little changes to help the environment. One of the biggest threats to our environment is waste from plastic, which takes lifetimes to degrade. Do your part in reducing your plastic usage to help our environment! If you're interested in some eco-friendly products to help you cut down on plastic usage (like stainless steel lunch boxes and zero-waste beauty products, check out my Amazon list here). And here are my quick tips for cutting down on plastic today:
1. Replace plastic water bottles with a reusable glass, aluminum, or stainless steel.
2. Get reusable 100% cotton produce bags (the ones I bought are from Amazon).
3. Use reusable cotton shopping totes (like the ones I get for free from Sezane!)
4. DIY cosmetics instead of store bought (and save some money!). Quick DIY's:
- Cornstarch = dry shampoo
- Coconut oil + baking soda = toothpaste
- Arrowroot + cacao powder = powder foundation
- ...just to name a few!
5. Refuse plastic bags, cups, and utensils when eating out.
6. ...eat out less! And when you do, only order the amount you'll actually eat, so you don't have to take home leftovers in plastic or styrofoam containers.
7. Use jars and glass bowls instead of plastic tupperware.
8. Use cotton towels instead of paper towels...or cut up old T shirts & towels to make your own paper towels!
10. Look for things packaged in paper, cardboard, or tins instead of in plastic:
- soap (hand soap, body soap, face soap)
- cosmetics - makeup, skin care, hair care
- foods - avoid single-use plastic!
- tools (cleaning brushes, makeup brushes, combs)
- household products: toilet paper (see above), paper towels, cleaning supplies, laundry soap (powder sometimes comes in cardboard)
- ...you name it!
Stay tuned for more upcoming articles on easy ways to reduce waste and be more eco friendly - and to save money doing it!