Lemon Thyme Quinoa Risotto
Thyme To Eat!
This savory, healthy twist on risotto is perfect for any type of diner.
This is a dish I like to make for friends or family who aren't used to healthy dishes. I tell them it's risotto, and they go along with it. You can use quinoa or rice (arborio, brown, etc), and you can add shrimp or chicken if you're a meat eater or serving those who are.
If adding meat, season with garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, & olive oil, and make sure it is in bite-sized pieces so you can throw it in with the rice or quinoa!
- 3/4 C quinoa (or rice)
- 1 1/2 C chicken stock
- about 1/2-1 C water
- 2 small zuchinni
- 1/2 yellow or white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small bunch thyme
- olive oil
- 1/2 C peas (optional)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt + pepper
- In a pan on medium-high heat, heat 2 TB olive oil, onion, and garlic. Cook until soft and transparent.
- Add quinoa to pan and toast for a few minutes.
- Add chicken stock and water and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, cover and turn to low, and add thyme sprigs (the leaves will fall off in pot). Simmer until liquid is absorbed. May need to adjust water if quinoa is not soft enough.
- While quinoa is cooking, add 1 TB oil, cubed zuchinni, salt + pepper to another pan on medium-high heat. Cook until browned and soft through.
- When zuchinni is almost done, add peas to warm (if using).
- Stir zuchinni and peas into risotto when quinoa is done and add a drizzle of olive oil, juice of 1/2 lemon, and salt + pepper.